The Java Platform Standard Edition (Java SE) 6 provides comprehensive monitoring and management support for the Java platform.
Java SE 6 includes the following APIs for monitoring and
- java.lang.management - Enables monitoring and managing the Java virtual machine and
the underlying operating system. The API enables applications
to monitor themselves and enables JMX-compliant tools to monitor
and manage a virtual machine locally and remotely.
- Sun Microsystems' platform extension to the
java.lang.management API and the management interface for some
other components of the platform.
- java.util.logging.LoggingMXBean - Enables you to retrieve and set logging information.
- The Java Management Extensions (JMX) APIs - Defines the
architecture, design patterns, interfaces, and services for
application and network management and monitoring in Java. For more information, see the
- The Attach API -
Sun Microsystems' platform extension that allows a management agent to be
dynamically loaded into a virtual machine.
- The JConsole API -
Sun Microsystems' platform extension that provides a programmatic interface
to access JConsole such as adding a JConsole plugin. JTop is an example
JConsole plugin available at the
Tutorials and Programmer's Guides
- VisualVM - Java Virtual Machine Troubleshooting, Profiling, Monitoring and Management Tool
- JConsole - Java Monitoring and Management Console
- Monitoring Tools
- Including jps, jstat, jstatd