Next: EBNF (Extended BNF)
Up: No Title
Previous: Context-free Grammars
This was originally developed by J.Backus and P.Naur for Algol 60.
- a production (or rule) consists of a left-hand-side
and a right-hand-side.
- The left-hand-side is a single non-terminal.
- The right-hand-side contains terminals and non-terminals,
- We use | for alternatives.
- We use juxtaposition for concatenation.
- concatenation binds stronger than |.
- We often use quotes for terminals.
- We will usually distinguish terminals which are not quoted
and non-terminals by capitalization.