JavaTM 2 SDK, Standard Edition, version 1.3
The new features of version 1.3 of the Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition are listed below. The full list of features, including features brought forward from previous versions of the SDK, is available at Guide to Features.
- Java 2 Platform
- Java Naming and Directory InterfaceTM (JNDI)
- Remote Method Invocation (RMI)
- CORBA ORB
- Java IDL compiler, idlj
- Drag and Drop Enhancements
- Java Sound
- Applet Deployment Enhancements
- Java 2DTM Enhancements
- Swing Enhancements
- AWT Enhancements
- Security Enhancements
- Networking Enhancements
- Reflection Enhancements
- Object Serialization Enhancements
- Accessibility Enhancements
- Input Method Framework
- Collections Framework Enhancements
- Enhancements to java.math
- Enhancements in java.lang and java.util.*
- Enhancements to the Extension Mechanism and Jar Files
- Support for Motif 2.1
java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoaderhas a new method,
rmichas several new options and now defaults to using '
-d .' behavior if no other destination directory is specified using the
rmidnow requires a security policy file.
DomainCombinerinterface provides a means to dynamically update the ProtectionDomains associated with the current
java.util.EventListener-- to process a variety of events of different types in a uniform fashion, such as by logging all such events to a file.
Motif 2.1 is compatible in both functionality and performance to Motif 1.2, except that it adds two features that might be of use for the Java 2 platform:
The Java HotSpot Server VM is available for Win32 platforms as a separate download. See the Java HotSpot web site to obtain the Win32 Java HotSpot Server VM v2.0.
Copyright © 1999, 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.